Saturday, April 14, 2012

Triple Attack! BB King, Jimmy Page, and Andy Summers

I'm back in LA after a relaxing spring vacation visiting family in Indiana.  I suppose Indiana doesn't seem like much of a vacation spot.  But I love my homeland.  I've been in LA for a little over a decade now.  But, quite frankly, it's an ugly and dirty place to live.  By contrast, Indiana is green and clean.  It may not have a reputation for a progressive-minded populace, but the people are genuine, which I can't say is always the case in Los Angeles.

Now that I'm back, I'm again focused on my guitar player improvement plan.  I've decided to work on multiple songs at once - mainly I have trouble maintaining focus on one thing without getting bored.  I need multiple things to work for.  So, I'm working on three different songs.

1.) BB King's "The Thrill is Gone" - I know this song now, but I really want to master the voicings HE uses more adeptly before I video post.  Otherwise, I'll have a tendency to slip into my own versions of his licks, which I'll probably do anyway.  But, I don't want that to be the result of not having worked toward mastery of his licks.

2.) Led Zeppelin "Good Times, Bad Times" - This isn't on my original list.  But, I started messing around with this song while I was in Indiana and decided to work it up.

3.) The Police "Sychronicity 2" - I love this song and it's challenging in a way that is very different from the two previous numbers.  It's a very different style of playing than I typically employ and I can't wait to get really into those chorus arpeggios.

Stay Tuned!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment